Knowledge and qualities:
Broad professional knowledge and wide experience in ship design, management and consultancy.
Expert in analyzing and structuring.
Creative and determined in obtaining targets within strict operational requirements and budget.
2008 – present Self-employed
ConsultShip bv, Kampen
See the tab “references” on the website.
1997 – 2008 Designer and manager D&E office,
Medium-sized Dutch shipyard in “modern industrial style”.
Designer and manager responsible for the ship’s design and the performance of the shipyard’s Design & Engineering department. Shipyard for seagoing cargo ships between 1.800 and 12.000 ton deadweight with a value per ship between 5 and 20 million euro. Annual new building capacity 6-10 vessels, each year multiple series in development and under construction.
Member of the Management Team and the Commercial Team:
Involved in the company’s strategy and policy;
Commercial, technical and tactically active in international environments;
Active participation at (financial) reorganisations;
Call for several subsidies;
Research and investment plans concerning CAD/CAM computer automation systems.
Design and engineering of ships:
Managing and accomplishing the design and engineering of all newbuilding projects from the first commercial contacts up to the possible delivery of these ships.
Some examples and interesting details:
- Innovative series of 1.800 ton deadweight sea-river ultra box cargo ships.
- Innovative series of 4.500 ton up to 6.500 ton deadweight seagoing cargo ships. At first developed within strict limitations of the main dimensions. Unmatched performance with regard to stability, fuel consumption, simplicity of construction and light ship weight reduction.
- Innovative series of 3.200 ton deadweight sea-river cargo ships with strict limitations on the main dimensions and price. Compared to the competitors, the final design of the ships resulted in 15% increase of deadweight, hold volume and speed.
- Innovative series of 3.600 ton deadweight seagoing cargo ships, high demands regarding the performance in ice and the speed related to economical (HFO) fuel consumption. Various tests carried out in close cooperation with international centres of knowledge.
- Innovative series of 10.000 ton deadweight seagoing cargo ships, one single hold and geared.
About 150 different conceptual designs like: container cargo ships, geared cargo ships, sea river cargo ships, hotel passenger river ships, oil recovery vessels, etc.
Simplification of the ship’s constructions as well as improving the sea keeping performances, wake field, wave-patterns, (damage) stability, deadweight and the manoeuvring performances;
- Development of the square box cargo hold;
- Development of the high efficiency straight bow;
- Optimizing trim performances;
Improvement of the logistics, ergonomics and liveability on board of the ships:
- Noise and vibration reductions up to “Comfort Class”;
- Interior lay outs based on maximum comfort for the crew;
- Interior “make-overs” regarding colours, furniture, upholstery and lay-outs.
Reducing costs by using optimized designed components and minimizing the number of parts throughout the total ship’s construction and systems;
Specialist in and manager over severe technical problems;
“Design-looks” for unique and attractive appearance of the ship whilst kept economic;
Development of standard forms and key figures;
Sale, supply and handling of design and engineering sets to third parties.
Management of the Design and Engineering department:
Establishment of a stable and modern style Design & Engineering department with a fixed staff of 13 persons using modern computer technology.
Subcontracting and escorting national and international production engineering services;
Structuring and organising Design & Engineering department; selecting and engaging fixed and temporary staff;
Formulating functional specifications and job evaluations according national standard system;
Application interviews, engaging trainees of high schools and technical universities, organisation of trainings for the staff;
Close cooperation with the production departments about capacities and possibilities to find most efficient construction processes;
Automation projects: final choice and introduction of ship building CAD software sets.
1993 – 1997 Naval Architect
Schipyard van Diepen B.V. Waterhuizen (The Netherlands)
Junior designer and construction engineer of several new types of seagoing cargo ships with capacities up to 9.000 ton deadweight. New builings and conversions:
- Livestock carriers;
- General cargo and containerships;
Education and trainings
2007 Finances for non financial managers
2001 Management for technicians
1998 Young Executives Training Y.E.T
1993-1994 Nupas 2D and Nupas Cadmatic 3D
1989-1993 Institute of Technology (Naval Architecture), Haarlem
Windows Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point);
Autocad 2010, Rhino 3D, Bureau Veritas’ Mars; Autodesk Navisworks;
Familiar with Shipconstructor, Nupas 2D and 3D, Sarc Pias, Autoship, Lloyd’s Rulefinder, Imos.